Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cord Blood Banking, do we really need it??

I've heard so much about cord blood banking when I was 3-month pregnant. At first, I had no idea what it was. So I did some research and found out that it is a good idea to keep the cord blood. It has a potential to treat diabetes, many types of cancers, heart disease, immune system dysfunction, blood-related illness, and many more. It can even be used to people in the family including parents and siblings. I asked myself, then, should I go for it and the answer was YES.
However, the brochures that show all these promising treatment never mention anything about price, which was a good idea for them. Because when I looked online at how much it costs, I was discouraged and reconsidered. The prices was nearly $2000 or more for the first year, depending on where you would like to bank the cord blood and it will be $125 annually for storage. After reading the info on the sites, I realized that only people who have medical history of such diseases or illness should bank their cord blood 'cos there are more possibility that the baby may inherit those as well. So, to be safe than sorry, the money spent will be worth it. But if you already have a healthy family and do not have high risks, it might not be a good idea to spend your money on this one. But who knows, I might be wrong. Maybe when the baby's born, I may change my mind. Still 3 more months to go, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment